Service Improvement Grants
Each financial year GRICS funds Gippsland health services to initiate service improvement projects that will positively impact the patient’s cancer experience within their communities The participating health services submit an expression of interest will be approved on the grounds it complies with priority areas set out by the Victorian Cancer Plan, GRICS Strategic Plan 2017-20 and Optimal Cancer Care Pathways. The projects undertaken were:
- Gippsland Cancer Care Connections
- Improving the urgent discharge experience for palliative care patients with cancer
- Having the difficult conversation / communication skills training for all health professionals
- Pre-implementation of enhanced recovery after bowel surgery (ERAS) for major bowel surgery in bowel cancer patients
- Mitomycin installation following transuretheral resection of bladder tumors (TURBT)
- Supporting cancer survivors
- Integrated model to improve self-management of those living with cancer as a chronic illness: enabling and empowering clients
- Implementation of the care plan for the dying person
- Oncology Rehabilitation Program
- Oncology Inpatient Discharge Planning Review
Optimal Cancer Care Pathways Implementation
The Integrated Cancer Services are implementing the pathways throughout Victoria, with the initial focus on colorectal and lung
tumour streams. GRICS has been tasked with implementation across the Gippsland region.
As part of this process, GRICS was involved with data auditing and surveying to collect information about the current state of cancer pathways in Gippsland and subsequently identify gaps in current cancer practices as compared to the OCP recommendations. The information collected formed areas of focus for improvement which GRICS, in collaboration with the Gippsland PHN are currently working on.
GRICS has also been involved in the promotion of the OCPs to health professionals and consumers with the communication
By adopting the OCPs, Gippsland health facilities will be better equipped to provide consistent, coordinated and quality cancer
care at each stage of a patient’s cancer journey.